February 4, 2020
Google had recently made its move towards decentralized solutions and made headlines for opening up various blockchain positions. Now, Google’s CEO Sundar Pichai has made his first remark on Web3 by saying, ‘we are definitely looking at blockchain’.
Here is what you need to know
- “Any time there is innovation, I find it exciting,” Pichai was quoted as saying at Alphabet’s earnings call on Tuesday.
- Web3, a vision of the internet model built around cryptocurrencies and digital ownership, is gaining traction among many investors. Companies like Block Inc., Meta Platforms Inc., and Twitter Inc. are already using Web3 applications for their certain services.
- Pichai revealed that the recent venture of Google Cloud has landed them many contracts with companies working on digital assets.
- “Blockchain is an interesting and powerful technology with broad applications,” he added. These comments from Pichai come after Alphabet posted more than $20 billion in profit during the holiday quarter from its stable of web properties.
- Pichai also spoke about how Google is fiercely investing in augmented reality and working on bringing YouTube and Maps to the virtual world. However, he made no comments on cryptocurrencies, which Google doesn’t accept as a payment.
About the author
Priyanka Shetty is a full-time communication professional and a part-time crypto writer based in Bengaluru. She can write about crypto but not so much about herself. She says she is just a girl who wants to meet your dog